from the former Royal Indian Air Force, this is the oldest
squadron in the Pakistan Air Force. It was formed at Lahore
on January 3, 1944 under the command of Squadron Leader A.
W. Ridler, and was originally equipped with Hurricane II-C
aircraft. The squadron moved to Arakan (Burma) for action
against the Japanese, and remained on active duties till
14th April 1945, first at Hathazari near Chittagong, and
then at Ranchi in Bihar; at Ranchi it covered to Spitfire
VIII aircraft armed with four 20m.m cannons. It was
Indianized in June, 1945, and Sqn. Ldr. M. Asghar Khan
(later Air Marshal and the first Muslim Commander-in-Chief
of the PAF) was appointed its Commander with Flt. Lt. M.
Akhtar (later Air Vice Marshal) as his Flight Commander.
In recognition of its services during the Second World War,
the squadron was presented a Japanese General's sword on
27th January, 1946.
After the Partition, the squadron was allotted to Pakistan
and in its new capacity it was formed at Peshawar on August
15, 1947 as single engine fighter squadron under command of
Sqn. Ldr. M. Ibrahim Khan.
The squadron's unique distinction is that from its gallery
of leadership, four of its Commanders, M. Asghar Khan, Rahim
Khan, Zafar A. Chaudhry and Zulfiqar Ali Khan, reached the
highest posts and commanded the PAF.
The squadron was visited by Air Vice Marshal Perry Keene,
Commander PAF, on 19th September, 1947.
On 16th January, 1948 came Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan, Prime
Minister of Pakistan.
The Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah paid a visit on 11th
April, 1948, while Field Marshal Ayub Khan, President of
Pakistan, came on 15th March, 1962.
After the Independence, the squadron had the honour of
flying the green crescent and star flag of Pakistan, For the
first time in the history of the sub-continent, it formed a
four place formation aerobatic team in April, 1951. On 23rd
March, 1964, for the first time in the history of Pakistan,
eight supersonic F-104 aircraft belonging to the squadron
participated in the Republic Day fly-past.
The squadron actively participated in the 1965 and 1971 wars
with India. Amongst its officers who won honours were Sqn.
Ldr. Jamal A. Khan who was awarded S. Bt. on 14th August,
1963, and Sqn. Ldr. Middlecoat who was awarded S. J. with
Bar. Sqn. Ldr. Jamal A. Khan, Flt. Lt. Amjad H. Khan and
Flt. Lt. Samad A. Changezi received S. J.