In January, 1958 a maritime flight consisting of two
maritime aircraft SA-16 was established as part of No. 12
Composite Squadron stationed at Mauripur. On 15th August,
1959 its strength was raised to four Bristol Freighter and
four SA-16. No. 4 Squadron started functioning independently
with two SA-16 and 2 H-19D aircraft. Its role was search,
rescue, casualt evacuation and maritime reconnaissance; in
the field of search and rescue, its performance was very
successful. During the September, 1965 war, the SA-16 was
given maritime role of detecting and reporting movement of
any kind of ship, particularly the enemy aircraft carrier 'VIKRANT'.
H-19D was called upon to help the Pakistan Army to search
suspected enemy personnel around Karachi. The squadron
during this period was under the command of Sqn. Ldr. M.
Asfar Khan. On 19th August, 1968 the SA-16 Albatross was
placed in storage, bringing to close the varied career of a
worthy aircraft which had always been there to lend a
helping hand in the hour of need.