Untitled Document
[:: Navigation ::]
 
 
 
  Main | PAF s' Squadrons
PAF s' Squadrons

No. 2 Fighter Conversion Squadron History: 1947-1982

Prior to the establishment of No. 2 Fighter Conversion Squadron, there existed a RPAF Conversion School at Mauripur which was utilized for transport as well as fighter flying. On the transport side were trained pilots, navigators and signalers. The aircraft used included Dakota, Fury, Tempest and Harvard. The RPAF Conversion School was taken over from Air Services Training on 1st July, 1953, and Dakota aircraft were replaced by Freighter Mark XXIII; it received the initial award of Flying Safety Trophy on 25th January, 1954. From June, 1955 the school started operating from Mauripur and Drigh Road. The single engine Conversion Squadron (henceforth called Jet Transition School) was re-equipped with T-33; the Tempests and Furys were allotted out, and it undertook instrument training. From 1st June, 1957 the Jet Conversion School was re-designated No. 2 Fighter Conversion Squadron with Sqn. Ldr. M. K. Abbasi as its first Officer Commanding. T-33 and F-86 aircraft were utilized for training.

[ Back ]